Concrete has the potential to be one of the longest-lasting materials in history – the Egyptian pyramids in Ancient Egypt were even constructed from a primitive form of concrete, and they’re still standing strong. Why shouldn’t your home, or any other concrete structure you own, exhibit the same longevity? The number one arch enemy of concrete is water. Not only can water create harmful health risks with the growth of mold and mildew and create numerous problems for homeowner’s foundations but it can also be a carrier for salts and chlorides that can damage reinforcing steel in the concrete leading to spalling and cracking.
Conventional waterproofing is either a liquid applied waterproofing coating or a preformed elastomeric membrane where they can temporarily help to reduce water and within a period those coatings or membranes are delaminated. Since they are unable to penetrate but instead coat the surface it is more like putting a band-aid on the problem instead of sealing from within.
(Image 1- Bitumen coating [a type of coating used to build a vapor-proof and flexible protective coat], Image 2- Cementitious coating [a two-component, thixotropic, cementitious modified polymer coating] and Image 3- Polymeric coating [made with polymers that provide superior adherence and protection from corrosion])
Fairmate has brought one revolutionary product WATERGUARD MAGIC which is a biochemically modified chemical solution that provides long-term waterproofing and durability benefits to concrete. It penetrates into concrete and reacts with free calcium and water to form a calcium silicate gel complex in cracks, pores and capillaries. This gel creates a sub-surface barrier against the ingress of water and contaminants such as chloride ions. WATERGUARD MAGIC will seal existing leaking cracks to 2.00mm. In the matrix the product remains reactive when in contact with water to provide autogenous healing properties to future hairline cracks.
Advantages of WATERGUARD MAGIC are as follows
- Permanently seals cracks up to 2.00mm.
- Reseals future hairline cracking.
- Reduction of chloride diffusion coefficient (ASTM C 1202) by 89% to 3.5
- Water permeability (DIN1048) reduced by 70% to 5.0 (10-12 m/s) at 10kg/cm².
- Increases surface hardness from 6 to 8 on Mohs scale.
- Reduces scaling in freeze-thaw environments by 89% at 50 cycles.
- Allows 84.1% moisture vapor permeability.
- Non Toxic – Certified suitability for potable water.
WATERGUARD MAGIC can be used to the following areas;
- Rooftops & Podium Decks
- Road & Rail Bridge Decks
- Wharf Decks & Marine Structures
- Airport Runways, Taxiways, Aprons
- Water Retaining Structures
- Colorless, clear to slightly opaque, odorless, soapy feel.
- Non-toxic & Biodegradable
- Percent non-volatile solids: 27.7%
- Specific gravity at 25oC: Between 1.2 and 1.225
- Flash point: no true flash – boils at 101oC
- Auto ignition temperature: N/A Non-explosive
- Viscosity: 14.3 centipoise or 0.1172 Stokes
- Tiled areas (not terracotta or glass-glazed)
- Tiled shower recesses
- Precast elements & panels
- Cement Tiles
- Water tank
WATERGUARD MAGIC has the following limitations
- It is not suitable for negative hydrostatic pressure applications such as the inside face of an basement/ retaining wall
- It is not suitable for sealing working/ volatile cracks as a result of structural defects or caused by mechanical damage
- It is not suitable for sealing where segregation and voids are likely such as construction joints, pour joints
- Not suitable around penetrations where there is a non-masonry/ cementitious interface.
PACKING & COVERAGE
Normal: 1 liter to 5 square meters on average. Can vary depending on substrate sorptivity.
For cracked areas: an additional 1 liter per 3 lineal meters is recommended. WATERGUARD MAGIC is available in 2ltr, 5ltr, 20ltr and 200ltr drums.